Skip to Main Content (Press Enter)

Vehicle Tag Renewals

New residents must register their vehicles within thirty days of establishing residency in Georgia. A Georgia Driver's License must be obtained before registering your vehicle, showing a Jones County address.

Out-of-state titles must be surrendered and transferred to Georgia titles (year models 1985 and older are not required to be titled in Georgia). If there is a lien on the vehicle and you do not have the title, we must have the current registration and name and address of the lien holder. Additionally leased vehicles require an original power of attorney from the leasing company.

Georgia liability insurance is required to be transmitted to the state's data base by your insurance company in order to register your vehicle. The vehicle must be covered by liability insurance at all times or a lapse in coverage penalty will apply. If you cancel the insurance, you must also cancel the registration.

Tags expire on the birthday of the first owner shown. You should receive a bill 30 days prior to renewal. Penalties apply after the birthday deadline. Failure to receive a bill in the mail does not relieve the penalty. If you do not receive a bill, call the Tag Office with your tag number and one will be mailed to you. This must be done in time to insure registration by your birthday.

It is the vehicle owner's responsibility to insure their vehicle is properly registered.

The penalty for late registration is 10% of the tax ($5.00 minimum) and 25% of the tag fee. These penalties begin immediately following the due date.

New and Used Vehicles

Vehicles must be titled before they can be registered. Newly purchased vehicles from a dealer must be registered within 30 days. Vehicles purchased from an individual or a private business must be registered in 7 days. Title tax is due at the time the title is applied for on vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealer.

If you sell a vehicle, you keep your tag. Tags can be transferred to new vehicles that are registered to the same first owner. Proof of title (bill of sale for 1985 and older) is required to purchase a tag or transfer a tag from a vehicle you no longer own.

For further information regarding vehicle registration please visit the State of Georgia Motor Vehicle Division website at

Military Non-Resident

In order to be exempt from ad valorem taxes, a PT-471 (Service Member’s Affidavit for Exemption of Ad Valorem Taxes for Motor Vehicles) must be submitted annually. This form must be signed by the service member’s Commander and notarized when the service member signs. NO COPIES or FAXES will be accepted.

Print your PT-471 form here.